Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's Non-Fiction time, Baby


I've been doing a really horrible job of reviewing non-fiction. My bad. Maybe next year I'll do a better job....(hopefully)

This is the story of Marilyn Monroe, told in her own words, which is raw, refreshing and sad. Apparently, this is the only book written by the famous star. I never knew she had written a book until I stumbled across it on Amazon. Like most, I had preconceived notions about Marilyn. I fell for the Hollywood image of her, but now I realize there was so much more to this amazing woman.

Marilyn gives the reader an insight into her childhood, and how her young life was extremely hard. I never knew she was an orphan, or that she was shuffled around to numerous families. I now can understand how it was hard for her to love or trust anyone. She explains to the reader how life as a teenager was and how difficult it was at times. Women hated her, men loved her, and she was struggling to find herself amongst it all.

Marilyn also talks about trying to become an actress and the colorful cast of characters she meets along the way. I found her insight into the world around her very interesting. She really wasn't the dumb blonde everyone thought she was. And when she found that she was lacking in something she decided to improve herself. Marilyn did this by taking acting/singing lessons and reading books that would cultivate her mind.

Littered throughout the book is Marilyn's wit and sense of humor, and her ability to see the world for what it really was.

Those who are unfamiliar with Marilyn Monroe's story might find this book a little difficult at times. I will confess I did not know all the players in her life. I had to do my own research and find out who she was writing about. But for those who know Marilyn's history this shouldn't be a problem.

The pictures are great. There are color and black and white photos throughout the whole book, which I think adds a nice touch. It is a short biography that does end abruptly(Marilyn's last entry was her performance in Korea.). It left me wondering why it ended the way it did. I wish I could have read more, but I was thankful for the chance to read Marilyn's thoughts. She really was an amazing woman.

For those who have a passing interest in the movie star I strongly encourage them to read this book. It was an amazing journey into the mind of one of America's most tragic stars.


Photobucket

No comments: