Saturday, October 23, 2010

My mom's crazy


Meredith has a lot of problems and they are pretty big. The first one on her list is that her father is a child abuser. Her second problem is he abused her. The third problem is he is coming home to live with Meredith. And the fourth one is her mother is fine with the idea of having him come back into the house. In fact, she's really excited about it. Oh, and her parents want to have another baby.

Meredith's life is messed up and along for the journey she has her wheel chair bound friend, Andy. She likes Andy, but does she really love him? Being with him are her only moments of sanity and sanctuary as she escapes her volatile household.


The reader watches in horror as Meredith's life slowly unravels. How can her life be so horrible? Thankfully she has some adults to back her up, even a no nonsense cop who wants her scumbag father gone.


I loved this book and I think other students will too. It boggles the mind to think that a mother would bring an abuser back into the household, but we all know it happens. Meredith's plight is described very well. You can feel her helplessness sometimes, and I think that makes for a great book.


The ending took me by surprise. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. But I won't give that away.


Students looking for a book about teen issues and abuse I think will enjoy this one.

No comments: