Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I want it Wednesday


I'll confess. It was the cover that grabbed my attention on this book. I know that pretty covers tend not to have good books inside(well that's my experience). But this summary sounded interesting and I bought a copy for the library.

Summary:
et in the fictional Indian land of Hundred Kingdom, Tomlinson’s memorable novel employs magic realism to explore a universal truth: an individual’s gifts and talents are not always as they might seem. Stepsisters Diribani and Tana are blessed by the goddess Naghali-ji in very different ways. When Diribani speaks, flowers and gemstones fall from her mouth. Tana’s talent seems to be more of a curse: she produces frogs and snakes when she talks. While Diribani is held at the opulent court of the Believers, where her every jewel is collected and tallied for the kingdom’s profit, Tana is chased from her village by its snake-fearing residents. Taking on the disguise of a mute stable hand, she returns, and with her unusual abilities, she saves the land. Tomlinson is a master craftsman, and as in her highly regarded The Swan Maiden (2007), she creates a vivid setting. Lavish details starkly contrast the two girls’ lives and personalities while emphasizing their strength, purpose, and enduring love for each other, despite their predicaments. The complexities of the cultural backstory pose a challenge to readers, but this beautifully embroidered adventure is well worth the effort.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

It's not my kind of book but that cover is gorgeous.

Annette Mills said...

I LOVE this cover. I've had it in my library for a while, and I finally read what it's about. I've added it to my list. Sounds great!