Sunday, August 14, 2011

Historical Fiction Civil War Style


Lizzie is fourteen years old in 1863. The battle between the states is raging on and her home of Vicksburg is under siege. In order to protect themselves from cannons Lizzie's family takes refuge inside caves.

Living inside a cave with creepy crawly bugs and snakes and other creatures doesn't sit well with Lizzie. In fact she wants to run away and fight for the South. Later Lizzie finds out that war isn't what she thought it would be and she is faced with some harsh realities.

I enjoyed this book. At first I thought the story was going to go down the same predictable road that many YA HF novels go, but Ms. McClure threw a curve ball in there which I really liked.

I think students who like historical fiction will enjoy this novel.

2 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thank you for the lovely review. I'm happy you like the "curve ball" I threw in there. I appreciate your time and thoughts on my novel.

Have a nice week.

YA Librarian said...

No problem :) I think others will enjoy it too.