Sunday, November 9, 2008

Daddy's little girl



Well, I did it. I finally got around to reading an Ellen Hopkins book. These books are very popular, but I find them difficult to read. I'm not a poetry girl, never was and never will be. So I avoided these books like the plague. But, since I like to think of myself as a cool hip librarian (that's debatable of course) I gave it a go.

This is a novel about identical twins Kaeleigh and Raeanne. To everyone around them they have the perfect family. Their parents have money and good jobs, but what happens in people's homes can be shocking and disturbing. Things aren't always what they seem.

Kaeleigh has caught her father's misplaced attention (incest), while Raeanna spirals out of control and begins down the dark path of drugs sex and alcohol. The story is told in alternating chapters between the girls.

Ms. Hopkins tells this chilling story in poetry format as she has done with her other books. At first I was unsure if this format could do the story justice, but I think it does. You get a disturbing picture of the girl's family life.

Teens that loved Ms. Hopkin's other books will enjoy this one as well.

No comments: