Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sad, but true


Tessa is going to die. I’m not ruining the story by telling you that because from the title I think anyone could have figured that out. Her time is limited. She has inoperable cancer and she has decided to make her own bucket list of things she must accomplish before the big day.

While Tessa is trying to complete the list she must deal with various hospital visits, a regiment of drugs and a failing body. In addition, she has a few complex relationships. Her estranged mother, her overbearing father, a little brother and a friend who has some very serious issues of her own she must work out.

I liked the story, but I found Tessa’s character to be grating at times. I understand that she was dying, and so the attitude she had was spot on; but there were times where I just wanted to get on with it because she was bothering me so much.

As I read the story I tried to think who would enjoy this. It’s pretty depressing even for young adult standards. But then I thought maybe sometimes a person needs a sad book to realize the good things they have in their lives.

For students looking for a complex story that takes them on an emotional rollercoaster ride, then this is the story for them. For students who are looking for something a little more upbeat then stay away.


No comments: