Friday, January 22, 2010

Historical Fiction Friday


This book has been on my TBR pile for over a year and this is the year I'll read it...I swear. Ms. Klein has written a few historical fiction novels that look promising including Lady Macbeth's Daughter and Ophelia.

Summary:
When her cousin Rosanna sweeps into Gettysburg in 1860, quiet, dutiful Lizzie can’t help but feel a little daunted. Rosanna's parents have sent her from Richmond to separate her from a romance her parents considered inappropriate. Soon the war consumes everyone, though, and tempers roil over questions of secession, slavery, race relations, and impending battles. After Lizzie’s father and brother join the Union cause, the family needs to fend for itself. Rosanna returns to Richmond and then undertakes a remarkable coming-of-age journey as an army nurse, learning on the job. Lizzie manages her family’s butcher shop and likewise has to deal with the blunt reality of battle at her doorstep. Terrific action and lively characterizations move the story along well.

2 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Haha-I bought this one last year too and I'm telling myself the same thing. I'll read it this year, I swear!:) It does look great.

bclement412 said...

I've never seen it before, but it looks pretty cool!